The worldwide data management software market is massive (IDC forecasts it to be $138 billion by 2026!). At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
As the Vice President of Engineering for the MongoDB Query team, you will be responsible for leading the development of a world-class, open-source, general-purpose query engine designed for the document model. The distributed setting and flexible schema open up an uncharted realm of captivating questions about language definition, cost-based optimization, analytical processing, parallelism, data federation, and many more. The Query team plays a crucial role in driving the vision, experience, and architecture of data processing for the entire organization. Besides providing a common processing infrastructure, we deliver specialized extensions such as geospatial, time-series, and search integrations.
Our global team is continuously expanding its charter and attracting the best query engineers working remotely or from hubs such as New York City, Seattle, Palo Alto, and Dublin! This rapid expansion and geographical distribution presents an exciting opportunity to build a high-performing diverse team and run large cutting-edge initiatives. We are on a mission to write a new chapter in data processing and forever change how users think about supporting a variety of their workloads. We need your help to lead this journey!
This role can be based out of our New York City office or remotely in North America.
Successful candidates will have a majority of the following qualities:
- At least 7 years of experience in a management position, including extensive experience managing other engineering managers. Experience leading multiple levels of management, both directly and indirectly, is a plus.
- Proven success building, mentoring, and growing strong geographically-distributed software engineering teams
- Committed to fostering a diverse and supportive culture
- Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills
- Extensive experience collaborating across multiple teams
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to make and evaluate realistic assessments of project complexity
- Proven success in designing, writing, testing, and maintaining distributed and/or highly concurrent software systems in large, long-lived code bases. C/C++ knowledge is a plus
- At least 10 years of experience in programming and system design with a strong grip on the foundational material of computer science
- Professional or advanced academic expertise in the domains of query planning, optimization, and execution along with a deep understanding of systems programming, many-core architectures, and distributed data processing
- Collaborate with Product Management and technical senior leadership to design, develop, and ship a groundbreaking, multi-model, distributed query engine.
- Ensure smooth and timely execution of projects while collaborating and providing visibility to all stakeholders.
- Appropriately allocate team resources, balancing efforts between building new features and supporting previous releases.
- Grow your organization while ensuring desirable skill composition, high job satisfaction, and vibrant culture.
- Delegate effectively by splitting your own time between technical and management aspects of the position.
- Partner closely with other R&D departments, including peer Engineering teams, Program Management, and Product Management to ensure alignment and execution.
Within 3 months:
- Gain an understanding of the Query team's product offerings and technical architecture, as well as the team's strengths and areas for improvement.
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders across engineering, including other Engineering VPs and Product Management.
- Integrate with the company culture and become familiar with the team's processes and workflows.
Within 6 months:
- Gain a high-level understanding of the wider set of MongoDB product offerings and their technical architecture.
- Set a clear strategic vision for the Query team that aligns with MongoDB's overall technical direction and product strategy.
- Drive the short-term (quarterly and annual) planning process for the Query team.
- Establish a regular cadence of communication and collaboration with other VPs to ensure alignment and effective execution of cross-functional initiatives.
- Identify and prioritize areas for improvement in the team's processes and workflows.
Within 12 months:
- Deliver a major milestone on the strategic roadmap for the Query team that advances our highly performant, scalable, and flexible query engine; meets the needs of MongoDB's customers; and drives significant revenue growth.
- Become skilled enough in MongoDB’s technology to effectively collaborate with technical leaders and Product on plotting the path for the most innovative, service-based, distributed query engine in the industry.
- Continue to grow the strong leadership structure within the Query team, with a focus on developing high-potential engineering managers and individual contributors.
- Effectively manage and optimize the Query team's resources, including headcount and budget, to ensure that the team is well-positioned to execute on its strategic priorities.
- Substantially improve the team's processes and workflows to drive productivity, efficiency, and employee engagement.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.